Recognized by Northern California Super Lawyer Magazine 2 years in a row
  • Team of Bay Area Criminal Defense Attorneys Working Together
  • Attorneys On Call Days and Evenings, Reasonable Fees
  • 25 Years Bay Area Courtroom Experience
  • Former Prosecutors and Police Officer on Your Side
  • Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley and Hastings Attorneys
Bay Area Criminal Lawyers
Free Criminal Law Advice Immigration Deportation Attorney San Francisco

Four Arrested for Identity Theft in San Carlos (CA Penal Code 530.5)

Posted on July 23, 2015

What are the penalties for identity theft in California? Continue reading

Ross Attorney Arrested for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (CA Health and Safety Code 11364(a))

Posted on May 28, 2015

What are the legal terms of a bench warrant? Continue reading

Registered Sex Offender Arrested for Posing as Massage Therapist in San Mateo (CA Penal Code 288(a))

Posted on April 22, 2015

What are the penalties for sexual battery in California? Continue reading

Former Woodside Teacher Convicted of Child Molestation (CA Penal Code 288)

Posted on January 27, 2015

How does California prosecute charges of child molestation? Continue reading

Menlo Park Laundromat Charged with Credit Card Fraud (CA Penal Code 484e-484j)

Posted on January 14, 2015

How does California prosecute charges of credit card fraud? Continue reading

Top San Francisco Criminal Attorneys, BBB A+
San Francisco Super Lawyers
Home > Offices > Burlingame Office

THE Peninsula?

If you've been accused of a misdemeanor or a serious felony – whether in San Mateo county or elsewhere in the Bay Area – our goal is always the complete dismissal of all charges. If this isn't possible, we often negotiate solutions for our clients that allow them to avoid jail and sometimes even prosecution.



map & directions

533 Airport Blvd, Suite 400
Burlingame, CA 94010
Phone: 650-763-8766


Summit Defense Attorneys Pleasanton Office


Burlingame Criminal Attorney: Frequently Asked Questions


I've been arrested in San Mateo county. Where will my court be?

If you are charged with committing an offense in Burlingame or elsewhere in San Mateo County, your case will be dealt with in Redwood City at the Hall of Justice and Records, at 400 County Center, Redwood City, CA. If you need to attend the Traffic Court, however, you will need to go to the Southern Branch of the Court on the corner of Hamilton Street and Middlefield Road, at 500 County Center, Redwood City.


If you hire Summit Defense, we will let you know exactly which courthouse and department your case is in. Further, a list of all cases is posted at the courthouse each morning. The list tells you which courtroom each case is in, and who the presiding judge is.

Do I have to attend court, or can my attorney go for me?

An advantage to having an attorney represent you is that, in many cases, they can go to court for you. Your attorney can attend court for you in all misdemeanor cases, except domestic violence matters. If you have been charged with a felony, however, you must attend court. You must also visit court in any case where the judge orders you to appear.

Can I look up the Redwood City court calendar online?

No, you cannot access the court calendar for Redwood City online. Your Summit Defense attorney communicates regularly with the court clerk and will let you know when your case is next listed, and give you plenty of notice if you need to attend court. If you do not have an attorney, you can contact the courthouse at (650) 363-4711 from 10am to 2pm Monday to Thursday, and from 10am to 12 noon on Fridays, to find out when your case is next in court.

Where is the jail for Burlingame, Redwood City and San Mateo County cases?

Most people who are arrested in the Burlingame area will initially be taken to the Maple Street Transitional Facility. This is located at 1580 Maple Street, Redwood City. This is the jail where all inmates are received and processed. Some prisoners will stay there if they remain in custody, and others are transferred to the Maguire Correctional Facility, located at 300 Bradford Street, Redwood City. Note that there is a women’s only facility at the Maple Street Jail, and that only men are housed at the Maguire Correctional Facility.


The San Mateo Sheriff’s Department runs both of these facilities. To check where an inmate is being held, you can contact the Maple Street Facility on Phone (650) 363-4310, and the Maguire Correctional Facility on (650) 363-4000.

How do I visit someone in jail in Redwood City?

To visit an inmate held at one of the Redwood City Jails, you need to attend the correct jail during the scheduled visiting hours. Each jail has a different visiting schedule, which are displayed on the Sheriff’s Department website.

Once you know the applicable visiting time, you need to arrive at the jail between one hour and fifteen minutes before visiting time starts. This is because you have to go through the registration process, and also through a security check. You need to make sure that you allow plenty of time for those processes to occur because visit times can often be crowded.


Before you visit an inmate in either of the Redwood City jails, you need to be familiar with the rules for visitors. There are strict rules about what you need to wear, who can visit inmates, how many visitors an inmate can have at one time, and what property you are allowed and not allowed to take into the jail. A full list of the rules is displayed on the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department website, underneath the visiting times schedule for each jail. Beware that if you do not follow the rules, you may be prohibited from visiting at all.

How do I help my friend or relative bail out in Burlingame and Redwood City?

After someone is arrested, their bail is set either at the police station when they are booked, or after they have appeared in court before a judge. Unless they are released on their own recognizance, bail will need to be posted before they can be released.


To post bail for someone who has been arrested in Burlingame, and is being held at one of the Redwood City Jails, you need to attend that jail. There is a cashier’s window in the lobby of each jail, and you can pay either cash bail or post a bail bond.


If you are represented by Summit Defense Attorneys, we will recommend a bail bonds company that offers our clients a discount. In some cases, it may be possible to post a property bond if the accused person, or someone willing to post bail for them, owns a house or some other kind of property. If you would like to know if it’s possible to post a property bond in your case, speak to your attorney for more information.

Can I look up my Burlingame or Redwood City criminal record online?

No, unfortunately San Mateo county does not make official criminal records available online. You can, however, search the San Mateo County Court Records Index. You can also attend the court and ask to view files in person, or request copies of your criminal court records by mail.

To request a copy of your criminal record by mail, you will need to provide:

  • Case Number
  • Defendant's Name
  • Approximate Filed date of the document or description
  • Self-addressed postage paid envelope
  • Appropriate fee


If you don’t have your case number, you can find it by searching the court records index online. Requests should be sent to the San Mateo Superior Court, Criminal Division, 400 County Center, 4th Floor, Redwood City, California 94063.


If you need a full and complete copy of your criminal record, such as for expungement proceedings, you must apply for an official copy from the California Department of Justice. This requires fingerprinting at an accredited livescan facility, submission of a form, and the appropriate fee. More information can be found on the Department of Justice website.


Attorneys On Call, Days and Evenings